Office News and Updates
Did You know ? We have a massage program!!!
Contact the front desk for an appointment.
Thought of the week:
The Weight of a Dime
What is the weight of a dime? Great question! The weight of 1 standard US dime is 2.268 grams.
That is all the pressure it takes to cut off 60% of nerve function.
How Environmental Conditioning Helps You Tap Into Your Evolutionary Strengths
- Environmental conditioning: Using hot and cold exposure, high altitude and breath work can improve your health by boosting mitochondrial function and metabolic efficiency
- Evidence suggests the human body needs temperature variation. We evolved to develop resilience and health through heat and cold stress
- Cold exposure improves health by inducing incredibly mitochondrial-dense brown adipose tissue to improve metabolic function.
The Many Health Benefits of Whole Body Vibrational Training
- Regardless of your current level of fitness, Whole Body Vibrational Training can provide a host of impressive health benefits while reducing your workout time
- Obese and diabetic mice gained similar muscle mass and insulin sensitivity improvements putting in either 45 minutes/day on a treadmill or standing on a vibrating platform for 20 minutes/day for four months
- Whole body vibration can also add another dimension of benefit to warmups, cool-downs and conventional exercises such as squats and planks, and can help seniors improve bone strength and general health
Are You Addicted to Your Smartphone?
- On average, people check their smartphones 150 times a day, or every six minutes, 46 percent say they couldn’t live without them and many prefer texting over real-life conversations
- Experts say that without time away from your phone, your nervous system stays in fight-or-flight mode, making you both wired and tired all the time
- PBS’s documentary “Web Junkie” reveals the screen addiction of youth in China who play video games around the clock without eating, sleeping or using the bathroom, and who see the real world as fake
Setting personal limits such as no phone use at mealtime and limiting posts on social media to a few times a week may help get your (real) life back, and be the example your kids need for setting healthy boundaries.
Thought of the week:
Can Exercise Prevent Hearing Loss?
- Approximately 48 million Americans report some level of hearing loss that may reduce income potential, increase listening fatigue and lead to social isolation
- Recent research links consistent exercise with a reduction in age-related hearing loss in mice, leading researchers to theorize it may reduce age-related damage to auditory structures in humans as well
- I recommend a comprehensive exercise program that includes high-intensity interval training, stretching, core work and non-exercise movement each day
Creative Imaging: A Mental Tool
- Worry is one of the most common causes of suffering in America. It’s also a contributing factor for overeating, alcoholism, smoking, drug abuse and many other compulsive disorders
- Imagery is the natural language of your brain, which is in part why guided imagery exercises are so powerful for changing thoughts and behavior
- Learning to shut your imagination off, and then using your imagination on purpose is important because the default setting is to look for problems and dangers